|Posted on:||Mar 6, 2023|
We don’t believe in chat bubble binaries. But if the grass on one side was greener… we know which side we’d pick. We’re looking for a developer handy in C++ and Kotlin to improve Transit on Android. We’ve just started the migration from RxJava to Kotlin Flows, and we’re actively working on our first big Compose screen.
While our iOS devs are busy on Notch Island dancing under a Lightning cable (or however else they spend their time) you’ll be optimizing our Android performance, developing better logic, and improving the C++ library shared by our iOS and Android apps. We work natively on Transit’s UI to keep it true to each platform, but there are lots of areas where we can reduce code duplication, making Transit as small and nimble as it can possibly be.
Who are you? You know the ins-and-outs of the Android SDK like a Kotlin-savvy surgeon. The scariest episode of Fear Factor you’ve ever watched didn’t involve eating bugs — but refactoring bug-prone architecture. When your therapist asks what would make you happy, you say “a better Google Maps SDK” three times out loud.
- Collaborate with all-star teammates to dream up Transit’s next big feature.
- Develop those features, refine existing ones, and maintain the Android app with your tender love and care.
- Refactor and refine Transit’s architecture to make maintenance simpler to carry out, and new features more-easily integrated.
- Conspire with our design team priests to bring their vision (and yours) to pixel-plated perfection.
- Good knowledge of Kotlin and C++.
- You know your way around Android Studio and are detail oriented.
- Conversational skills in French (and ideally, English).
💯 Would be nice if…
- Experience with Jetpack Compose.
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub.
- You are the maestro behind at least one superb (and ideally, published) Android app.
- Passionate about cities, urbanism, public transit, design, technology, GIF battles on Slack.
Don’t feel like all the requirements apply to you but you still think you’d be a great fit for Transit? Don’t hesitate to apply!
💰 Compensation and benefits
$70,000 CAD - $110,000 CAD per year, based on experience
- Stock options
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 5 weeks vacation
- Four-day work week at full-time salary (yes, you read that right)
- Apple laptop and equipment
- $1,500 annual mobility allowance. STM? BIXI? Uber? E-bike? Scooter? Going car-free is free at Transit.
- A training and development budget
- Generous maternal/paternal/parental leave policy. Gotta fill out our tandem bicycles somehow!
- Flexible work hours
- Spend your days surrounded by first-rate teammates and the best view of Montreal and/or [insert exotic Zoom background]
- When you’re in the office: you’ll be in urbanist heaven, surrounded by Mile End’s urban gardens, bike paths, BIXI docks, bus stops, a metro station, and limitless restaurants… cafés… bars… concert halls… bagel boutiques…
- Communal lunch-and-learn with free food in the office each week
👨💻 A note on diversity
Public transit is used by overwhelmingly more women and people of colour than other modes of transportation. We try to make sure the diversity of our users is reflected in the team that serves them. Because when we include people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, ages, and identities — we end up building a better app for everyone who uses Transit.
We encourage candidates of all ages, genders, origins and orientations to apply. If you’d like to specify which pronouns you’d like to be referred to, feel free to include that in your application email.
And if your lived experience has given you a unique perspective on all things transportation, mobility, accessibility, urbanism? Let us know, and we’ll make sure your application gets the attention it merits.
📬 How to apply
Shoot us an email at [email protected] with a CV, quick summary of who you are and why you’re interested in working at Transit, a link to your GitHub, and some projects you’re proud to have worked on. We look forward to meeting you!
PS: When you apply, let us know how you heard about the position! Whispers, grapevines, middle-of-the-night Google searches? We’re dying to know.
How to apply to this developer job?
Latest developer jobs in Montreal
- Senior .NET Programmer AnalystDesjardinsAt Desjardins, we believe in equity, diversity and inclusion. We're committed to welcoming, respecting and valuing people for who they are as individuals, learning from their differences, embraci…📍 Lévis, Montréal⏱ Full-time🚗🗓 Dec 4, 2023
- Senior Manager, Technical Program ManagementAutodeskJob Requisition ID # 23WD73861 La traduction en Français se trouve plus bas!/The French translation can be found below! 23WD73861 Senior Manager, Technical Program Management Position Overview Autode…📍 Montreal, Toronto⏱ Full-time🚗 Hybrid🗓 Nov 29, 2023
- Senior Software EngineerAutodeskJob Requisition ID # 23WD72808 Position Overview Come join us! Do you want to create engaging, helpful, attractive websites and eCommerce platform that are frequented by millions of visitors worldwid…📍 Montreal, AMER - United States - Georgia - Offsite/Home, AMER - United States - Oregon - Offsite/Home, Toronto⏱ Full-time🚗 Hybrid🗓 Nov 28, 2023
- Senior Advisor, Radio EngineeringBellReq Id: 415789 At Bell, we do more than build world-class networks, develop innovative services and create original multiplatform media content – we advance how Canadians connect with each other and …📍 Montreal⏱ 🚗🗓 Nov 23, 2023
- Product Manager, Education PlatformsAutodeskJob Requisition ID # 23WD73477 La traduction en Français se trouve plus bas!/The French translation can be found below! 23WD73477 Product Manager, Education Platforms Position Overview Autodesk's…📍 Montreal, Quebec⏱ Full-time🚗 Remote, Hybrid🗓 Nov 10, 2023